Sunday, September 18, 2005

Musik

On friday, Bu Indra was really keen for us to hear Peterpan and Yuni Shara as apparently music is part of our topic, 'going on holidays'. I was just telling one of my friends about how I have like... 2 words from the song stuck in my head right now. I've got 'apa denganmu' in my head. Earlier, I was telling her about what Bu Indra told us about people getting paid 20 cents per word as a translator and all these other things she says about the things you can do with Indonesian in the future. And that Bu Indra wants at least one of her students to create an Indonesian video or texts. I said to my friend that she can do all the artistic designer stuff, and I'll just feed her with the phrases. It could work!

But anyway, back to the main topic - musik. Bu Indra showed us video clips of Peterpan's Ada Apa Denganmu and one of Yuni's songs.

Because our translation of Ada Apa Denganmu isn't that great, I looked it up. I found something I thought was funny at http://indolaysia.typepad.com/some_southeast_asian_junk/music/

"The biggest band in Indonesia, without a doubt, is Peterpan. (Yes, one word.) Their sound is pretty standard pop-rock, and there is no real reason why they should be popular instead of any number of other cookie cutter mass produced bands, but they are the ones. Whereever you go in Indonesia, in any shop or any internet cafe, you can here their latest album being played. It's called Bintang di Surga, which means "Stars in Heaven." It's even popular in Malaysia--we were at a mall a couple months ago and heard it being played on the loudspeakers. Their biggest hit is "Ada Apa Denganmu?," which means "What Is It With You?" This is like the "Hey Ya" of Indonesia; not that it sounds anything like it, but rather that it is a song that is pretty inescapable. Naturally, it's become so ingrained in our head that before we left, we had to buy the album. As far as mass-produced pop-rock goes, it's pretty listenable."


I found a better translation of Ada Apa Denganmu from one of his/her commentors, which I think is better than our class' and the Indolaysia's author's translation.

INDONESIAN
Ada Apa Dengamu by Peterpan
Sudah maafkan aku, segala salahku,
Dan bila kau tetap bisu ungkapkan salahmu.
Dan aku sifatku, dan aku khilafku,
Dan aku cintaku, dan aku rinduku.

Sudah, lupakan semua: segala berubah
Dan kita terlupakan kita terluka.
Dan aku sifatku, dan aku khilafku,
Dan aku cintaku, dan aku rinduku.

Kutanya malam, dapatkah kau lihatnya
Perbedaan yang tak terungkapkan?
Tapi mengapah kau tak berubah
Ada apa denganmu?
Oh...hanya malam dapat meleburkan
Segala rasa yang tak terungkapkan.
Tapi mengapah kau tak berubah
Ada apa denganmu?

ENGLISH
What is the matter with you? by Peterpan
After forgiving me
All of my wrongdoings
And when you remain silent
Remember your own mistakes

And I, who I am (*sifatku -- my characteristic but also who I am*)
And I, my weaknesses (*khilafku -- innate flaws*)
And I, my love (*cintaku - my love, not that he loves himself; that would be Dan I cinta kepada diriku*)
And I, my sorrow (*he misses someone - the girl he is singing to, not himself*)

Have forgotten everything
Everything has changed
And we've forgotten
And we've been hurt
And I, who I am
And I, my innate weaknesses
And I, my love
And I, my sorrow

(*They've broken up and forgotten a lot about their relationship?
Everything does not appear to be the same anymore when they meet?
They've forgotten -- all of the good times?
They've both been hurt by the ordeal?
And he is who he is, -- Only human?
With his innate flaws
With his loves
And his sorrow*)

I ask the night
Can you see the difference?
That is not spoken?
But why have you not changed?
What is with you?

(*Did they meet at night?
He looks at her and wonders if she is still the same girl that he knew those many nights ago?
Yet he cannot see any difference - it cannot be identified.
And so he questions himself
Why has she not changed?
Was this a egotistical call on his side because he wanted to believe that he had a more profound effect on her?
Or is it because he does not know why she remains to be the same girl that he cared for? And thus still does?
Or is it because he sees her for who she really is now, now that he is no longer blinded by love and wonders what he ever saw in her?*)

Only the night can release
All the feeling that is not spoken
But why have you not changed?
What is with you?

(*So, only the night can free him from the hauntings of his mind.
And the emotions that cloud his head.
Why has she not changed?
What is with her?*)

No comments: