Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Musing...

Is there a difference between "oranye" and "jingga". I have been taught in Malay and Indonesian that 'jingga' is orange - not oranye, yet I am consistently seeing the word "oranye" in an Indonesian Learning Wikibook.

Fortunately enough, Wikibooks can be edited by everyone, so I've changed all the words that I think are wrong (such as oranye) into words I think are right (such as jingga)! This might seem a bit tedious and... well, frankly a bit rude (because the person who wrote this wikibook should know what theyre doing if theyre writing a hand book!) But hey, jingga is right too. :p

1 comment:

luwitolundi said...

jingga is indeed oranye. "orange" is not an indonesian word. the word "oranye" is a loanword from the dutch, they call the color "oranje," pronounced "oranye."

so jingga = oranye.

now in terms of colloquial usage, almost nobody says "jingga," it's too poetic. people use "oranye" 99% of the time.

feel free to contact me, and i'll help you with whatever indonesian question you have. i'm always excited when someone is interested to learn my native tongue.