Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Passive and Active sentences, Chapter 4 style

I admit I don't fully get the whole passive/active sentence thing, but I do try my best. Anyway, this is how I figure is best how to learn it. All full, "correct" sentences should have a subject, verb and an object. For example, "I played with the dog." would have "I" as the subject, "Played" as the verb and "Dog" as the object.

Step 1: Figure out what point of view the sentence is.
A 1st person point of view will say, "I, we" or "Saya, aku, kita, kami"
A 2nd person point of view will say, "You" or "Anda, kamu"
A 3rd person point of view will say, "He, She, They, Them, or that person's name" or "Dia, Mereka, (insert name here)"

STEP 2: Figure out whether the sentence is an active sentence or a passive sentence.
An ACTIVE sentence is one that focuses on the subject. An example of an active sentence is, "I wrote that book" as it focuses on me having written the book.

A PASSIVE sentence is one which focuses on the object. An example of a passive sentence is, "That book was written by me" and it focuses on the book more than me being the author of it.

Step 3: Change the sentence type
Ok by changing the sentence type, obviously I mean going from changing an active sentence to a passive one, and a passive sentence into an active one.

Changing from an active sentence to a passive sentence
As mentioned before, an active sentence will be Subject + Verb + Object such as "Anne wrote that book" where "I" is the subject, "Wrote" is the verb and "Book" is the object. So because this is an active sentence and I want to change it to an passive sentence, I want the sentence structure to be Object + Verb + Subject. Therefore, the sentence will be "This book was written by Anne".

Or in Indonesian:
Anne menulis buku itu (Active sentence) --> Buku itu ditulis oleh Anne (Passive sentence).

Things to note:
* 'menulis' changes to 'ditulis'. Basically the key is just to drop the "me" from the verb and change it to a "di".
* 'oleh' means 'by'... just use it whenever you're writing a passive sentence to be safe.

When changing the passive into an active, just move the words around to make the Subject + Verb + Object pattern. But remove the "di" from the verb and add the "me-" prefix. And remove the 'oleh'

More about the passive and active sentences will be continued later when I get to the next chapter. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever learnt about proper sentence structure checker? I guess you did not. We offer to have our services of structure sentences to check your important essays or papers.

Anonymous said...

don't be a dick Dr Rehan

Unknown said...

Yeah Dr Rehan, stop being a dick.