Sunday, April 03, 2005

Other chapter 1 new words/phrases

Kenalkan - Let me introduce...
Nama saya - my name is ____. eg Kenalkan, nama saya Rob. (saya = I/Me, nama = name)

Where are you from? - Anda dari mana? (anda = you, dari = from, mana = where)
I am from Perth - Saya berasal dari Perth. (berasal dari is the formal way of saying "from".)

Ini - this. Itu - that.

Itu siapa? - Who's that? (siapa = who)
Ini adik saya - This is my little sibling.
Rob adik saya - My younger sibling is Rob. (adik = younger sibling. to indicate that Rob is a male, use "adik laki laki". to indicate its a girl, use "adik perempuan")

I used to live in Java island - "Dulu, saya tinggal di pulau Jawa". (Dulu = previously, tinggal = live, di = in/at, pulau = island, Jawa = Java)
I currently live in Medan - "Sekerang, saya tinggal di Kota Medan". (Sekerang = currently, Kota Medan = city of Medan. Kota does not need to be present.)
I just moved to Indonesia - "Saya baru pindah ke Indonesia" (baru = just, moved = pindah, ke = to)

Dia - he/she
She is an Australian - "Dia orang Australia" (orang = person)

Come over to my place? - Mampir ke rumah, yuk? (mampir = visit, rumah = house, yuk = used when inviting another to do something)
Bapak dan Ibu ada di rumah - Father and Mother are at home. (Bapak = dad, dan = and, ibu = mother)
Would you like a drink? - Mau minum? (Mau = want, minum = drink)
Thank you - Terima Kasih
You're welcome - Kembali

abjad - alphabet
benar - true false - salah
Pak - Mr, Sir or father. eg Pak Jones = Mr Jones.
Bu - Mrs, Ms, Madam or mother. eg Bu Linda - Mrs Linda
Aduh! - wow!
boleh - Ok, thanks, I'd like that, can, allow

No comments: